The Disability Effective Leader
Michael Beates outlines in his book, Disability & The Gospel: How God Uses Our Brokenness to Display His Grace, the characteristics of a “disability effective leader”.
Our prayer is to see church members and leaders alike grow in and exemplify these characteristics.
- Inclusive: includes in their circle people with and without disabilities
- Biblical: subject to the authority of God’s word and ability to articulate biblical principles regarding God’s view of those with disabilities
- Accessible: an advocate for making facilities and communications accessible to varying levels of disability
- Practical: leads others to identify and meet needs
- Evangelizing: actively seeks opportunities to share gospel
- Assimilating: encourages all to assimilate into their fellowship
- Promoting: prepares and equips people with disabilities to seek out leader opportunities
- Multiplying: seeks to multiply the number of disability effective leaders in their church or parachurch
- Humility: this perhaps underlies all of these characteristics as the lure of power in Christian ministry is tempting